Africa Writes 2017 Pop-Up: Bristol
Friday 6 – Saturday 7 October 2017
The Cube Cinema, Dove St S, Avon, Bristol BS2 8JD
Hamilton House, 80 Stokes Croft, BS1 3QY Bristol, United Kingdom
The Royal African Society’s annual literature festival comes to Bristol!
Africa Writes Pop-Up: Bristol presents exciting series of events celebrating contemporary African literature and thought.
With book launches, film screenings, discussions, family activities, workshops, and a poetry night, the festival brings you a vibrant programme showcasing the best new writing from the continent and the diaspora. Featuring:
• Chinelo Okparanta (Under The Udala Trees)
• Jowhor Ile (And After Many Days)
• ‘Half of a Yellow Sun’ & Riches film screening & discussion in partnership with Afrika Eye Film Festival. Tickets £7/£5 concs: http://bit.ly/AW2017Lens
• Workshops on Creative Writing with Elmi Ali (Numbi Arts) & Arts Management
• The Secret of the Purple Lake storytelling workshop with Yaba Badoe (Cassava Republic)
• Discussion on Literary Activism and Africa
• Cities and Watering Holes: An evening of Spoken Word and Music hosted by Numbi Arts & Ujima Radio 98fm. Tickets £5: http://bit.ly/AW2017Cities
The majority of the festival is free and open to all. Join the Facebook event here.
There will also be a book fair, hosted by Africa Book Centre, offering a huge range of books from African literature classics to new publications and rare finds.
Africa Writes 2017 Pop-Up: Bristol is brought to you by the Royal African Society in partnership with Numbi Arts, The University of Bristol’s Centre for Black Humanities, Afrika Eye, Ujima Radio, Spike Island, Centre of African Cultural Excellence, Coexist at Hamilton House, The Cube Cinema, Book Kernel and Paper Nations, and is supported by Arts Council England and Sigrid Rausing Trust.